Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 21, 2011

inspiration...

From "Nicolas Rapp's Extreme Adventure Driving the World by Truck" on Huffington Post, Feb 21, 2011

Arriving back in the U.S. after a 37,000-mile trip around the world – most of it overland in a '96 Toyota Land Cruiser – I made a funny mistake. I'd survived landslides, jungles, breakdowns and accidents, monkeys stealing my breakfast, cops shaking me down, border guards turning me back, and desert thugs looking to take my precious water. Finally I got through customs in Los Angeles, flashed my colorful passport to the officers and expected to see friends who'd promised to meet me – but no one was there.

After asking someone what day it was, I realized my mistake. It was Saturday. I'd told them I was arriving Sunday. I'd forgotten I would cross the international dateline somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and go back in time a day.

As my travels came to an end, one reader asked if I'd found what I was looking for on the long road around the planet.

Well, I was not sure what I was looking for when I left, but I feel wiser about the state of the world. I may not be smarter or better, but I am stronger, and I have more stories to share than the average person. I've been away for 15 months and after seeing many places, I reckon New York City with its diversity is where I feel most at home. I intend to stick around and try to adjust to a sedentary life. My next adventure I will have in common with many American as I try to find a job. But I intend to stay in touch with those I met on my adventure, along with readers who followed me online, sent me a donation for gas or posted a comment. As I made my way around the world, you made me feel I was never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment