Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 4, 2011

the inevitable "Pros and Cons" list...

There are pros and cons to living ANYWHERE.

I realize that no matter how "Pro" it will be to wake up in a land of sun and fun, there will always be one or two "Cons" rearing their ugly head.

I've been devising a list (mostly in my head) of the places I'm considering re-locating to, and the subsequent pros and cons of each seemingly perfect paradise:

Miami, FL
Pros: Beautiful beaches, beautiful weather, beautiful people, culture, endless things to do, etc. etc. What's not to love after a Winter in the Northeast?!
Cons: I would have to learn Spanish or Portuguese like, STAT, if I want any chance of getting a good paying job down there. High population of "fake" people. $$. Traffic is a nightmare. Hurricanes. Summers are blistering, sweltering, fry an egg on the sidewalk HOT. If you want to live near the beach, it's pricey.

San Diego, CA
Pros: Please see above.
Cons: It's a much more expensive and much further plane ride to get home and see my family. The time difference. $$$. Wages not comparable to housing costs. Earthquakes. Crappy job market, recently bombed by recession. TRAFFIC.

Virginia Beach, VA
Pros: It does have a "Winter" so it'll still feel a little like home. 3.5-hour drive to Washington, DC. Short plane ride back home to N.E.
Cons: Swamped by tourists every Summer. Huge military presence (meh). Recent steady rise in crime and gang violence (eek!). Expensive to live anywhere near the beach.

Honolulu, HI
Pros: It's HAWAII. Need I say more?
Cons: Might feel remote and detached. You're hours behind everything. $$$$$$$$. Lots of familiar and home-y things don't exist in Hawaii. 14 hour flight to visit back home.

Lots to think about...

2 comments:

  1. I am really considering a move to Virgina or Maryland when I finish school, I have loved it so much every time I go. And you are right, they do have a little winter...I could still don a sweater if I missed it. I'm not so afraid of gang violence, I mean, Same Old Place was shot up a couple months ago, apparently JP is also a hot bed of gangsta activity and I love the J Peazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two awesome things about Hawaii- boston pizza, and I know people out there. Plus it smells good.

    ReplyDelete