Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 10, 2011

along the way...

I want driving across the country to be as long and as satisfying a trip as possible. Since I've never done it before, and there are so many places I haven't been, I am starting a laundry list of "must see's" for us to visit on our trek...

In no particular order, but definitely particular:

1) Washington D.C - I've been once, but didn't see nearly enough of it. I need to get my historical fix. It would make my Mom so proud :)

2) Niagara Falls, NY - Maybe this will be not-so-exciting? I don't know, I like big giant waterfalls.

3) New Orleans, LA - Must see the French Quarter. Must eat at Antoine's, because Anthony Bourdain told me to, and I trust him.

4) Estes Park, CO - Lots of my friends have been here (also the headquarters of Rocky Mountain National Park), and said it's stunning. I wouldn't mind also checking out the Stanley Hotel, which was Stephen King's inspiration for "The Shining".

5) Yellowstone National Park, WY - I will not drive across the country without seeing Yellowstone!

6) Grand Canyon, AZ - I think this is a pretty obvious choice. I can't wait to see something so vast and beautiful up close. I hear that if you hit it at just the right time near sunset/dusk, it's breathtaking.

7) Vegas, baby!

8) ANY SUGGESTIONS? - I am very open to them...

Some great sites for anyone out there looking to go on a RT adventure:

www.roadtripamerica.com (more traditional road trip website)

www.roadtripusa.com (less traditional road trip website)

www.eccentricamerica.com (weird, bizzarre, and strange places)

1 comment:

  1. Okay so hear are some suggestions!

    Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia - Trees, trees, and more trees!

    Cleveland, Ohio - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - Kind of trashy, but in an endearing sort of way

    Sanibel Island, Florida - Catch the greenflash!

    Muirwood, Northern California - Redwood forest. Giant Trees. Unbelievable quietness

    The Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco - It really is amazing. Even more so in person.

    La Hoya, California - Adorable artist community, picturesque cliffs that make you say, "oh so this is California"

    As you can see, I haven't been to the middle of the country at all. The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and New Orleans are on my list too, as is the Mississippi River. I want to ride on a giant River Boat.

    ReplyDelete